Means “information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
(a) Whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
(b) Whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.”
This includes information the City has collected in any format, including from correspondence, in person, over the phone, over the internet, or sourced from third parties.
Personal information includes but is not limited to names, address, telephone numbers, email addresses, date of birth and rates records.
- The City will only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, its obligations or performing one or more of the City’s functions or activities.
- The City will only collect personal information by lawful and fair means.
- The City will ensure that the collection does not unreasonably intrude into the personal affairs of the individual.
- The City usually collects personal information directly from the individual concerned.
- The City will collect personal information from other parties if consent is given in writing by the authorised individual or required by law.
- The City may store personal information in a range of mediums including electronic systems or paper files.
- All information is stored securely and restricted to access by authorised personnel only.
- Where personal information is stored by a contracted third party, the City requires them to comply with this Policy.
- The City will only use or disclose personal information for the primary purposes for which it was collected or for directly related secondary purposes which would be reasonably expected by the individual, or as permitted or required by law. If there is any doubt about this expectation then consent will be sought from the individual prior to disclosure of personal information for a secondary purpose.
- The City will not disclose any personal information unless it is satisfied that the information is to be used for the purpose for which it was collected or a directly related purpose that the individual would reasonably expect.
- Where personal information is used by a contracted third party, the City requires them to comply with this Policy.
- The City will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information is relevant, accurate and up-to-date before using it.
- The City will take steps, as reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that personal information it collects is relevant and not excessive.
- The City will update personal information held when necessary or when the individual concerned advises the City that their personal information has changed.
- The City will take steps to protect personal information held by the City from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- The City has data protection and security measures including administrative, physical and technical access restrictions to personal information to ensure access by only authorised personnel.
- The City will ensure that personal information is not kept any longer than necessary or destroyed or de-identified in line with accepted document disposal schedules.