It can be hard to stay on top of the rapidly changing developments in social media when you are running your business. SBDC put together this quick guide to one of the popular social platforms, TikTok, to help you out.
Using social media can be a powerful way to build awareness of your business, connect with your customers and turn your online exposure into sales to grow your business.
You might already be using established social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn to boost your online presence – but have you considered how you could use TikTok to reach and engage with customers for your business?
Here are some quick tips to help you navigate opportunities for your business on Tiktok.
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a video-sharing app that allows you to create and share videos ranging in duration from three seconds to 15 minutes, as well as watch content created by others. The algorithm curates content according to what you have interacted with.
TikTok’s global success is due to a number of factors, including celebrity endorsements and the ease of creating, sharing and viewing video content.
Who uses TikTok?
TikTok is most popular with young audiences, particularly teenagers, who were early adopters of the new platform. However, as it rapidly increased in popularity, celebrities and brands such as Gordon Ramsey and budget airline RyanAir jumped on board.
Top TikTok tips for your business
- Find out if your existing or prospective customers are using, or likely to be using, TikTok. If they are, it could be a perfect platform for you to share relevant and useful content in a new way.
- Research popular hashtags and trends that fit with your brand to see what content is popular.
- Create a branded page and start experimenting with content to see what works.
- Serve your audience. ‘How to’ videos and transitions are often popular on TikTok, so work out the kind of stories your business could be sharing and how this content could help your audience.
- Be responsive. While it’s important not to rush any of your marketing efforts, TikTok is all about timing. You don’t want to spend a month putting together the perfect video about a trending topic, only to find the conversation has moved on by the time you’re ready to post it.
- Consider using influencer marketing to share your messages. You can find TikTok influencers through the brand’s Creator Marketplace.
More tips for social media marketing
The number of social media apps is always growing, so it’s worth investing some time in understanding each platform and how it could suit your business. You might also want to explore our articles on:
- Getting started on social media
- Don’t make a hash of #hashtags – and other social media tips
- Refreshing your digital marketing approach
New social media apps offer some exciting opportunities for businesses – and not all platforms will be suitable for all businesses. It’s important to make sure your customers are at the centre of everything you do, so always take the time to consider what they need and how you can support them with your products and services.